Ticker

Header Ads Widget

God's Word In Your Mouth



God’s Words in Your Mouth

Shane found Ryan in his bedroom with the curtains drawn and the lights off, obviously experiencing a major hangover. Shane sat on the floor beside the bed and spoke softly.

“You look awful!”

“Tell me something I don’t know,” Ryan responded. “Someone slipped some ‘X’ in my drink last night. Ohhh. My insides feel like they’ve been ripped apart with a lawn mower.”

Shane didn’t know a lot about “X,” other than the fact it was short for “ecstasy” and was a powerful and popular drug making the rounds at his high school. “Ry, do you really think it’s worth it? I mean, look at you!”

“That’s what I want to talk to you about, Shane. I’ve known you for a long time. No matter how many times I’ve screwed up, you’ve remained a real friend.”

“Hey, listen—”

“No. You listen! I know I’m not in real good shape right now, but I do know what I’m talking about. You’ve always been a good guy. The only reason I started partying was because I couldn’t say no to the pressure. I just wanted to be included, you know?”

“I hear you.”

“But—you never gave in. Everyone knows what you stand for; they know how involved you are in your church and youth group. And most of the times I’ve gone with you, I’ve really enjoyed it. I’ve come real close several times to making a commitment to God, but something always holds me back.”

“I know. I’ve sensed that.”

“I want what you have, Shane. I need that strength. I don’t want to keep giving in to the pressure of things that I really don’t even want to do.”

“Ryan, that’s great!” Shane yelled. As Ryan covered his ears and winced in pain, Shane remembered he should keep the volume down.

“Hold on,” Ryan continued. “I want to give my life to Christ . . . but I’m scared. And you can’t tell anybody I said that!”

“C’mon, Ry! I’m your friend, remember?”

“Yeah, yeah. Guess I’m just scared of all I know I’ll have to give up to become a Christian.”

“Well, let’s talk it out,” Shane said as he reached for the New Testament that was crammed in his hip pocket.

Know It!
You don’t need to worry about what to say when God gives you a clear opportunity to share your faith. The same God who gives you the chance to witness will also place just the right words in your mouth.
Read It!
Isaiah 6:8, 11; Jeremiah 1:6-10; Habakkuk 3:17-18
Pray It!
Ask God to place his thoughts in your mind and his words in your mouth.

©Tari Esther Opute

Post a Comment

0 Comments